Do You Understand What Your Emotions Are Telling You?
All emotion is guidance from your higher self and all emotion has meaning. There is no value in ignoring it, pushing it down or not understanding it. Emotions are the most valuable tool we have in creating a life that is exactly what WE want it to be. Everyone has different dreams and desires and your individual emotions are guidance as to what you need to adjust in order to live your own unique dreams. No one can direct you the way your emotions can.
We tend to think of emotions that feel bad as bad so we stuff them down, try to avoid them, or we end up spending too much time in them because we don’t know they are simply messages.
There are many ways to shift your emotional state into a more positive place, but the best way to ease the feeling of emotions that don’t feel good is to understand them. Get curious about them. Ask yourself what they mean. In doing this you will notice the heaviness begin to dissipate almost immediately. Your higher self just wants you to get the message. Negative emotion is NOT meant to be lived in.
Here is a List of 10 Emotions and the Messages Behind Them.
(Adapted from Awaken The Giant Within by Tony Robbins)
- Discomfort: Boredom, impatience, unease, distress or embarrassment are all sending you a message that something isn’t quite right. Either the way you’re perceiving things is off, or the actions you’re taking are not producing the results you want.
- Fear: This is simply the anticipation that something that’s going to happens soon needs to be prepared for. There is always a solution to fear, and sometimes it simply means having faith that you have done all you can, you’re ready.
- Hurt: This is a message that we have an expectation that has not been met.
- Anger: This message is that an important rule or standard that you hold for your life has been violated by someone else, or maybe even you.
- Frustration: This means that your brain believes you could be doing better than you currently are. This is a really exciting signal because it means your solution is well within range.
- Disappointment: An expectation that you had is probably not going to happen, so it is time to change your expectations to make them more appropriate for this situation and take action to set a new goal immediately.
- Guilt: You have violated one of your own highest standards, and you must do something to ensure you aren’t going to do it again. On the flip side, you can ask yourself if it is truly your standard or someone else’s that you are still trying to live by.
- Inadequacy: You don’t presently have a level of skill necessary for the task at hand. You need more information, understanding, strategies, tools or confidence.
- Overload: You need to reevaluate what is most important to you in this situation. You need to decide what is most important to focus on now. Make a list of all the things you need to get done and order them by importance.
- Loneliness: You need connection with people. It could be an intimate connection, friendship or someone to laugh and talk with.
You can understand all of the messages that your emotions are trying to convey to you and then begin to learn from them and shift your current beliefs and actions. When you feel negative emotion ask yourself what the message is and then take the new action or embrace the new belief that you are trying to show yourself. You can also ask yourself whether it is indeed true, is the message true?
As always, if you want help understanding your specific messages and how to shift your beliefs, request an introductory coaching session here.
Look for an article next week about the 10 best feeling emotions and how to bring them into your life more consistently.